06:21 pm
April 30, 2017

Real estate shifts to a cash flow phase

Real estate shifts to a cash flow phase
Jim Fried

By Jim Fried

My past columns have profiled specific guests on my show, but this month, I wanted to write about the latest phase of the region’s real estate market. It’s based on ideas that many of my guests have expressed during the last few weeks, but sometimes only shared privately.

I have been in the real estate business for over 30 years and have been involved with more than $2 billion worth of real estate transactions. My expertise is creating real estate business deals, not just managing the marketing process.

During the current real estate cycle, I have helped many real estate investment groups capitalize development transactions and sell their urban land. Now, the market is shifting from a construction phase to one focused on cash flow. Investors and lenders are seeking high-quality, predictable cash flow that’s generated from multi-tenant and single-tenant properties.

More recently, the trend is moving toward identifying cash flowing properties for my clients to buy and then helping them to finance the deals.

Well-located, well-anchored retail space with a tenant mix that minimizes exposure to sales on the Internet will continue to be the darling of real estate investors in 2016 and 2017.

Other than retail, investors and institutions continue to chase the cash flow generated by apartment projects. This product type is considered a stable investment that is not subject to the swings of the economy. Capitalization (cap) rates continue to be driven down in this asset class even though people believe interest rates may rise later this year.

A number of the family offices and institutional investors with whom I work are seeking to expand their holdings of individual apartment projects and portfolios of apartment buildings. However, they’re finding it extremely difficult to identify assets in this genre that they can acquire at prices they believe are appropriate. One family has decided to sit on its cash until the market pricing becomes more attractive.

I regularly get calls from families located in cities such as Dallas, Houston, Chicago, Boston, New York and Atlanta looking to buy in Florida, and Florida families looking to buy outside of the state. More often than not, we end up putting two families together and they blend their portfolios, market concentrations and risk profiles. This is becoming an increasingly common solution as investors continue to chase yield.

The most important part of any of these combinations is who will operate the property. The high net worth investors and families with whom we work put the potential operating partner through very rigorous due diligence prior to investing. ¿

I’ve discussed this topic in the past on my show and I expect to have numerous episodes on this in the future. To hear the opinions my guests, you can go to the archives on our website, friedonbusiness.com. You can always hear news and information on our show, every Thursday from 6 to 7 p.m. on 880 AM in Miami.

21 comments

• It is the best time to make some plans for the longer term and it is time to be happy.
    I’ve learn this post and if I may just I desire to recommend you few fascinating things or
    tips. Perhaps you can write next articles regarding this article.
    I desire to learn more issues approximately
    it!

• This is the perfect blog for everyone who would
    like to understand this topic. You understand so much its almost hard to argue with you (not
    that I actually would want to…HaHa). You definitely put a new spin on a topic that has been written about for decades.
    Excellent stuff, just great!

• Have you ever considered about adding a little bit more than just your articles?
    I mean, what you say is fundamental and everything.
    However think about if you added some great visuals or video clips to give your posts more, “pop”!
    Your content is excellent but with pics and clips, this site could undeniably
    be one of the greatest in its field. Amazing blog!

• Good day! This is my first visit to your blog! We
    are a team of volunteers and starting a new initiative in a community in the same niche.
    Your blog provided us valuable information to work on. You
    have done a outstanding job!

• I was wondering if you ever thought of changing
    the page layout of your blog? Its very well written; I love what youve got to say.
    But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could connect with it better.
    Youve got an awful lot of text for only having one or 2 pictures.
    Maybe you could space it out better?

• I do agree with all of the ideas you have offered in your post.
    They’re really convincing and can certainly work.
    Nonetheless, the posts are too quick for starters. Could you please extend them a little from subsequent time?
    Thank you for the post.

• I absolutely love your website.. Very nice colors
    & theme. Did you build this amazing site yourself?

Please reply back as I’m looking to create my own personal blog and would love to know where you got
    this from or exactly what the theme is named. Thanks!

• It’s genuinely very difficult in this busy life to listen news on Television,
    therefore I simply use world wide web for that reason, and get
    the newest information.

• Hi there would you mind stating which blog platform you’re working with?
    I’m going to start my own blog soon but I’m having a hard time making a decision between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal.
    The reason I ask is because your layout seems different then most blogs and
    I’m looking for something completely unique. P.S Sorry for being off-topic but
    I had to ask!

• Hi i am kavin, its my first time to commenting anyplace, when i read this piece of writing i thought
    i could also make comment due to this sensible
    piece of writing.

• With havin so much written content do you ever run into any issues of plagorism or copyright
    violation? My website has a lot of completely unique content I’ve either authored myself or outsourced but
    it appears a lot of it is popping it up all over the web without my authorization. Do
    you know any methods to help reduce content from being
    ripped off? I’d definitely appreciate it.

• Thanks , I have just been looking for information about this subject for ages and yours is the greatest I have came
    upon till now. However, what in regards to the bottom line?
    Are you certain about the supply?

• An interesting discussion is definitely worth comment.
    I do believe that you ought to write more about this
    issue, it may not be a taboo matter but generally people
    don’t talk about such issues. To the next! Kind regards!!