06:47 am
May 28, 2017

Yahoo Finance and AXDX

Dear Mr. Berko: In 2005, you said Yahoo Finance was a good free source of investment and statistical data, and I’ve often used it to help me make investment decisions. But Yahoo recently changed the format, and it’s really crappy. The information is terribly reduced. The site is confusing and clunky to use. Necessary information is missing and hard to find. And there’s tons of wasted space. It’s a disaster. Is there any way to get the old site back? I’m willing to pay for it, too. Or can you recommend other stock sites that I can use for investing information?

I also need your opinion on a company called Accelerate Diagnostics. It has invented a diagnostic machine that takes a blood sample and within several hours can provide a detailed analysis that would normally take days. What do you think? — MS, Oklahoma City

Dear MS: The abominable restructuring of the Yahoo Finance site demonstrates why Yahoo (YHOO-$38.60) was purchased by Verizon. Having stinky earnings means having stinky management. And stinky management hires stinky people, who make stinky decisions.

I wasn’t surprised by the number of readers who went berko over Yahoo’s recent website change. So I called a bigwig at Finance at Yahoo (let’s call him Tricky Mickey), one of the remaining gormless engineers, to ask whether one could access the old site. I’ve called three times, but Tricky Mickey won’t return my calls. Frankly, I think he’s emotionally incapable of doing so.

I use Yahoo Finance, which is free, and eight other sites, which cost between $399 and $8,000 a year. I’m uncomfortable recommending those pay sites; however, Charles Schwab, Fidelity, MSN Money, Bloomberg, FreeRealTime, E-Trade, Thomson Reuters and Scottrade are excellent free data sources. Each is enormously superior to Yahoo’s grossly purged site, which contains considerably less information and almost zero data on mutual funds, exchange-traded funds, preferred stocks, etc. The reason for the redacted site is that Yahoo’s management really believes it’s superior to the old site and will attract more advertising. Yahoo’s people, who once ruled the Silicon Valley, are very good at making stupid decisions.

Tricky Mickey is among the reasons Yahoo can’t prosper. Realizing that Yahoo is imploding and watching the sharks circle because they smell Yahoo blood, the best engineers have jumped ship. The dumb ones, who can’t find other jobs, remain. And those who remain (the stupids) will have trouble finding jobs when Verizon takes over.

Remember the old adage: “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” Tricky Mickey is fixated on fixing things that “ain’t broke,” which probably makes him feel useful. He is the pillock who redesigned Yahoo Finance, which has a huge useless map detailing the location of every company covered by Yahoo Finance. Tricky Mickey screwed the pooch. Yahoo Finance was among the few products management could brag about and a go-to source for quick, succinct, easy-to-access data on innumerable investments. Today Yahoo Finance is a limp rag. Thousands of loyal users woke up one July morning to discover that Yahoo Finance had been hijacked by an inferior Yaphooey Finance. Meanwhile, Verizon must be very careful which Yahoo people it retains to prevent its employees from being infected by a slothful Yahoo culture.

Accelerate Diagnostics Inc. (AXDX-$19.50), with an expected $2.3 million in 2016 revenues, is a company that provides in vitro diagnostics. It offers a rapid platform for the diagnosis of infectious pathogens. AXDX was founded in 1982 and has yet to earn a dime, but it has a market cap of over a billion dollars. AXDX looks like a smart speculation, based on its high-speed identification and antimicrobial susceptibility testing of pathogens from patient samples, which is much faster than conventional methods. AXDX shortens the normal analysis time by at least 40 hours, creating the potential to expedite optimal therapy for patients with high morbidity and mortality risks. AXDX expects revenues of $23 million next year (a tenfold increase from 2016), and some docs I know are buying the stock, which is strongly recommended by Thomson Reuters, Market Edge, Morgan Stanley, Piper Jaffray and Credit Suisse. Go for it, but be careful out there; this isn’t a widow-and-orphan stock.

Please address your financial questions to Malcolm Berko, P.O. Box 8303, Largo, FL 33775, or email him at mjberko@yahoo.com. To find out more about Malcolm Berko and read features by other Creators Syndicate writers and cartoonists, visit the Creators Syndicate website at www.creators.com.

COPYRIGHT 2016 CREATORS.COM

24 comments

• Hi, i read your blog occasionally and i own a similar one and i was just wondering if you get a lot of spam
    feedback? If so how do you protect against it, any plugin or anything
    you can suggest? I get so much lately it’s driving me crazy so any support is very much appreciated.

• Elevated design innovation and skilful advertising to progress export locations might be very important for the longer term success of the Italian business.

• My Grandma (who works as a jeweller) explained to me “When choosing jewelry to wear to compliment your outfit, it is very important not to mix gold and silver. Though many will tell you that it is okay to mix the two, believe me when I say that it is not! Mixing gold and Gold Earrings looks terrible and will ruin any good outfit!”

• My Mum (who trained as a jeweller) explained to me “Do you have sterling Pearl Earrings? As you probably know, silver is a metal which oxidizes when in prolonged contact with air. To keep your silver nice and shiny, get into the habit of softly rubbing it weekly with a polishing cloth. If there is grime on your Silver Hoop Earrings, simply use a soft, moist cloth to remove it. Dry the piece thoroughly and then use a polishing cloth to restore the shine.”

• My Ma (who trained as a jeweller) said “Clean Dress Earrings with products from your kitchen. Hoop Earrings tarnishes with time but it is easily cleaned with vinegar. Combine half a cup of white vinegar with two tablespoons of baking soda in a small bowl. Stir the mixture until it forms bubbles. Put your Earrings Studs into the solution leaving it for two to three hours depending on how tarnished it is. Remove the jewelry and wash it under cool running water. It will look as good as new!”

• My Auntie (who worked as a jeweller) smiled and told me “Many people have started wearing Silver Earrings and yellow gold jewelry together. In order to do this, you need to have a piece of jewelry that combines both metals. Otherwise, the look is mismatched and out of style. It’s easy to get it on a hot trend by wearing a twisted bracelet containing yellow gold and silver to make your look cohesive.”

• My neighbour (who works as a jeweller) told me “Avoid fancy designer names in jewelry. We have all heard the names of famous jewelers, but is their Gold Earrings actually higher quality than other brands? It is actually a gemologist proven fact that designer jewelry isn’t better quality; you are paying up to 80% more for the jewelry piece because of the designer name attached. Look at the types of jewelry from these designers that you like and find similar styles from other brands and designers that are much more affordable.”

• My Mama (who has a job in a jewellery shop) explained to me “Sterling silver is a porous metal that oxidizes when it comes in contact with oxygen. To keep your Silver Stud Earrings looking clean and shiny, wipe any dirt or other substances off with a warm, damp cloth. Dry it thoroughly and polish with a polishing cloth to restore its natural luster and shine.”

• My Auntie (who trained as a jeweller) told me “Clean Gold Earrings with products from your kitchen. Silver Earrings tarnishes with time but it is easily cleaned with vinegar. Combine half a cup of white vinegar with two tablespoons of baking soda in a small bowl. Stir the mixture until it forms bubbles. Put your Silver Stud Earrings into the solution leaving it for two to three hours depending on how tarnished it is. Remove the jewelry and wash it under cool running water. It will look as good as new!”

• My Auntie (who trained as a jeweller) explained “Clean Earrings with products from your kitchen. Pearl Earrings tarnishes with time but it is easily cleaned with vinegar. Combine half a cup of white vinegar with two tablespoons of baking soda in a small bowl. Stir the mixture until it forms bubbles. Put your Silver Hoop Earrings into the solution leaving it for two to three hours depending on how tarnished it is. Remove the jewelry and wash it under cool running water. It will look as good as new!”

• My Mom (who works in a jewellery retailer) said “If you own gold or Hoop Earrings be sure to take it off when you shower, sleep or submerse that area of your body in water. By doing these things you will prevent the jewelry from varnishing faster. The beauty of fine jewelry is it’s sparkle and gleam.”

• My Mama (who works in a jewellery dealer) explained
    to me “Be sure to clean your Hoop Earrings using professional cleaning products. Using home methods may be effective, but using cleaners specifically meant for silver can help to prolong the life of your Pearl Earrings. In addition, under no circumstances scrub, your silver. Instead, opt for using denture cleaners to scrub the silver without causing brush marks or other damage.”

• My Gran (who worked in a jewellery shop) smiled and told me “To remove tarnish from your Gold Earrings without harsh chemicals, line the inside of a pot with aluminum foil, and add four cups of water and an eighth of a cup each of baking soda, salt and dish soap. Gently place all of your pieces into the liquid, counting them as you go. Bring the mixture up to a simmer for a couple of minutes, then turn off the burner and allow it to soak. Pour everything gently through a colander, then place the pieces on a towel to dry, counting them as you go. “