Resort hotels offer an array of golf, social memberships
By Martin Lenkowsky
A previous installment of SFBW’s “Inside the Gates” series discussed top private residential clubs, but there are options for golfers even if they don’t live in a country club community.
The Seagate Country Club, Delray Beach
• Membership: $30,000.
• Annual dues: $12,000 country club; $15,000 resort (includes beach club and country club).
• Includes: 18-hole championship golf course; practice facilities; driving range; private golf lessons with PGA professionals (charges apply); private tennis lessons with tennis professionals (charges apply); pro shop; children’s golf and tennis programs (charges apply); valet parking; Har-Tru tennis courts; seasonal discounts on room rates; waived resort fees; special holiday and social events; access to restaurants.
The Diplomat, Hallandale
• Annual dues: $5,700 individual; $7,700 family; $4,800 executive individual (40-under); $6,700 executive family (40-under)
• Includes: Unlimited golf and practice range access; 14-day advance tee time reservations; cart fees up to $25 for 18 holes, $15 for nine holes; GHIN handicap maintenance; locker, storage and shoe cleaning; special savings on clinics, private instruction, guest rates, member-guest days, club dining, catered events, tennis, and golf and tennis merchandise; reciprocal privileges at nearby Troon GC; valet and parking; monthly events; pool access.
• Note: Seasonal dues (Nov. 1-April 30) are available; $4,700 individual or $6,300 family.
Trump National Doral Golf Course
• Membership: $50,000 (full golf).
• Monthly dues: $945 a month.
• Includes: Member-only clubhouse; no green fees (cart fee only); seven-day advance tee time on member-only course; three-day advance tee time on nonmember courses; designated member-only tee times; unlimited driving range access; pool access; social events; complimentary tennis; complimentary valet parking; discounts on food and beverage, spa services and retail purchases; member pricing on resort accommodations.
• Note: Junior membership (35-under) monthly dues $475 a month. Membership requires 10 percent at joining, 10 percent on 30th birthday, balance paid in annual increments ages 35-45. Amenities vary.
Bonaventure Golf Club, Weston
• Annual dues: $1,800 individual; $2,600 family (dependents to age 24); $1,300 junior executive (49-under) individual; $2,100 junior executive family (dependents to age 24).
• Includes: Daily golf (cart fee $18 a player, or no fee on certain days and times); seven-day advance registration; 30 percent off range balls; preferred accompanied guest days (November-April, $37; May-October, $32); preferred play at Davie Golf Club ($10 off South Florida rate for member and a guest); $5 off weekday golf board rental; 10 percent off merchandise, food, beverages, regular guest golf fees.
Boca Raton Resort & Club
• Membership: $30,000 (no assessments, no minimums).
• Annual dues: $7,290 social; $4,800 single golf; $6,800 family golf.
• Includes: Two championship golf courses with clubhouse; pro shop; locker rooms; bag storage; certified instruction; 30 tennis courts; Waldorf Astoria Spa; 32-slip marina (accommodating yachts of 100 feet or longer); half-mile private beach; restaurants; three health clubs; seven swimming pools; kids club (ages 3-12).
• Note: All members pay the membership fee and social dues. Social members may pay daily fees for golf, or add a golf option (single or family) if they play often.
Fisher Island Club
• Membership: $40,000.
• Annual dues: $25,520 family (includes dependent children under 24); $3,950 individual golf; $4,650 family golf.
• Includes: Unlimited greens fees; unlimited range use; priority tee time reservations; complimentary golf clinics.
Grand Palms Spa and Golf Resort, Pembroke Pines
• Annual dues: $1,995 single (daily); $2,695 family (daily); $1,495 (weekdays only).
• Includes: $21 cart fee; discounts on pro shop merchandise, restaurants and local hotel bookings.
Turnberry Isle Miami, Aventura
• Membership: Nonrefundable $75,000 for full golf (or $65,000 cash or $150,000 refundable deposit paid in full), includes extended family and legacy privileges; nonrefundable $50,000 for executive golf (age 45-under) with 10-year interest free financing or $45,000 cash.
• Includes: 12 complimentary annual golf guest passes; unlimited play for cart fee on two Raymond Floyd-designed courses; complimentary locker and bag storage; discounted instructional clinics and lessons; complimentary valet parking; beach club access; pool access; fitness and spa access, including fitness classes; access to dining areas, bar, library and card room; member pricing on resort accommodations and purchases; unlimited tennis; adult and children’s activities; transferability of membership to adult children, grandchild or parent.
• Note: Social memberships start at $20,000 for limited golf (six rounds, Oct. 1-May 31) and unrestricted golf (June 1-Sept. 30) access.