An array of free online webinars are providing information to the South Florida business community amid the coronavirus outbreak.
Topics include financial assistance, cash flow, HR, technology, working from home, marketing and legal issues. Some webinars are available on replay while others are scheduled for Wednesday and Thursday.
Here’s a list:
Miami-Dade Virtual Town Hall
The Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce and the Beacon Council have teamed up to offer a virtual town hall. Topics will include emergency programs from the SBA and the state Emergency Bridge Loan program.
Participants will include:
- Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Gimenez
- Ken Lawson, executive director of the Florida Department of Economic Opportunity
- Brian Van Hook, regional director for the Florida Small Business Development Center at Florida International University. The SBDC is involved in Florida’s Emergency Bridge Loan process.
- Victoria Guerrero, South Florida District Director for the U.S. Small Business Administration, which is providing disaster loan assistance.
Time: 1:30 p.m., Wednesday, March 25
The commercial real estate organization is letting non-members participate for free in a discussion about the macroeconomic impact of COVID-19 and potential implications for the commercial real estate market.
The speaker will be Timothy Savage, clinical assistant professor of real estate at New York University’s Schack Institute of Real Estate, where he is the program coordinator of Data Science and the faculty director of Hirsh Scholars. He is also the former senior managing economist and principal data scientist of CBRE Econometric Advisors.
Time: 2 p.m., Wednesday March 25
The economic development group will have a panel discussion on how businesses can navigate the challenges of the COVID-19 situation. Topics include managing your finances, HR issues, remote work and cyber-security, what to do with sales efforts and marketing strategies. Participants include:
- Kelly Hill, CEO of Sales Advisors of Florida
- Russell Slappy, CEO of nPerspective
- Keith Coker, president of OrlanTech
- Joe Nardelli, chief marketing officer of Newland Associates
- Robert Newland, CEO of Newland Associates
Time: 11 a.m., Thursday, March 26
How to Access the SBA and Other Ways of Preserving Value in Your Business
Members of the accounting and advisory staff at Marcum LLP will focus on ways of preserving business value and accessing SBA programs.
Time: 1 to 2 p.m., Thursday, March 26
Marketing for small business
BizHack founder Dan Grech, who may be familiar from his previous stint on public ration station WLRN, will share his five top take aways on how businesses can approach marketing in the age of COVID-19.
His panelists are:
- Andreina Santaella of Miami-based Polestar Pilates, a chain of pilates studios that have started offering group sessions online
- Anna Robbins of 222 Taco in North Miami, a fast casual restaurant that has developed strategies to serve its takeout customers.
- Karin Ray of ASM Music School in Cooper City, which is adapting its after-school music programs to the temporary shutdown of school
- Rachel Cohen from the office of Miami-Dade Commissioner Eileen Higgins, who will discuss resources for small businesses
Time: 1:30-2:30 p.m., Thursday, March 26
Informative Call for Broward Business Leaders
This one is a bit different since participants fill out a form to get a phone call for the session. The session will include Congressman Ted Deutch, Broward County administration, CareerSource Broward and other key organizations and leaders.
Time: 2 p.m., Thursday, March 26
What small and mid-sized business needs to know
Accounting firm and Daszkal Bolton are holding a joint webinar to cover an array of topics associated with the outbreak. They include the Family First Coronavirus Response Act, telecommuting, HR issues, tax credit, legislation and modeling cash flow.
Time: 11 a.m., Friday March 27
To register, email Dan Kobak at firstname.lastname@example.org
Business and legal issues
The Gunster law firm is offering a replay of its March 20 webinar that discusses business and legal issues resulting from COVID-19. The moderator was firm Chairman by George S. LeMieux, who is also a former U.S. Senator. Topics included forced closing of non-essential businesses, tax relief and fiscal stimulus, regulatory concerns, payment of sick time and PTO, force majeure clauses and insurance issues.
Time: Anytime since this is a replay
Working from home
TechLauderdale recorded a webinar about working from home. Topics included managing a remote workforce, navigating compliance and labor laws for a remote workforce, rising cybersecurity threats. (The group says it is also working on more webinars.)
The speakers were:
Annmarie Neal, chief HR officer at Ultimate Software
Chris Fleck, VP and technical fellow at Citrix Systems
Michael Goldstein, president and CEO of LAN Infotech
Sanjay Deo, founder and president of 24By7 Security
Brett Schneider, chair of the labor and employment division of Weiss, Serota, Helfman, Cole & Berman
Time: Anytime since it’s prerecorded